Instagram

Translate

Friday, August 07, 2009

Melbourne CBD too violent

I don't know the CBD is violent. When I was there early this year, I feel safe. However, I never walk around alone during night. Anyway, when she mentioned Prahran, I knew the area and it is one of good spots. I watched movie at Jam factory Cinema.  I miss Melbourne. "She was particularly shocked by a recent attack at a Hungry Jack's outlet in Chapel St, Prahran."

"I think it's not necessarily that they go out and see it. It's more that it was reported and then you think 'it was near me' and, 'Oh, I could have been there'."

Ms Doyle backed her dad Robert's efforts to help stem the tide of late-night horror.

But yesterday she surprised him when she called radio station 3AW to ask him about the value of extra police on the streets.

Asked whether she went out in the city, she replied: "The violence has become so bad at night time that it's just not worth it."

Cr Doyle told the Herald Sun his daughter's call highlighted the issues he must concentrate on.

"I think that's one of the problems we have, that there are young women who think the city is not a particularly welcoming place at the moment and we have got to fix that," he said.

In March, Cr Doyle said he would consider all-night cinemas and midnight sports events in an effort to increase the viability of a 24-hour city without relying on a booze culture.

He said the US had midnight basketball events on the streets and he would consider that idea as well as a 24-hour cinema or strictly patrolled dance events held in dry zones.

"If you look at the city from 2am or 2:30am a lot of the entertainment is built around the sale and consumption of alcohol," Cr Doyle said.

"A safe cinema, where people can come late at night . . . they are safe and alcohol-free where people can have a good time, but it's not based around alcohol."

No comments:

Post a Comment