Instagram

Translate

Sunday, March 27, 2011

the faces of the anti-cuts protest

Nurses, lawyers, students, teachers: the faces of the anti-cuts protest | Society | guardian.co.uk
Protesters converged on London with one clear message for David Cameron's coalition – the people are not happy

ELAINE BRIGGS
Operations manager, 52, from Cornwall

Elaine Briggs

In Cornwall we've had 40% cuts. They've removed our £3m budget, leaving more than 1,000 vulnerable clients without support and more than 120 staff redundant – and that's just one service. We provide support to assist those who are vulnerable, to maintain their tenancies, get the benefits they are entitled to and to empower them to live independently. I'm out of a job next week and it's absolutely heartbreaking.

SASHA SIMMONS
Youth worker, 27, from Hackney

Sasha Simmons

I'm concerned about my job, but I'm more concerned about the people we're working with. We need to make sure young people are safe in their communities and make sure they have the options of working and finding economic security. We're hearing very scary rumours about the cuts that will leave young people in a very scary position. We need a slower and steadier approach.

KATE ROTHWELL
Psychotherapist, 47, from St Albans

Kate Rothwell

I'm furious. I've worked for over 20 years as an arts psychotherapist and myself and seven others have been made redundant. It's devastating. We work with extremely disturbed offender patients to help them make the transition to low-secure units and eventually out into the community. The government said they had to make cuts and save money, but it's a false economy because they'll just end up warehousing patients.

FIONA BATH
Teacher, from Leeds

Fiona Bath

I'm a teacher in special education and 3% of the population are taking 25% of the cuts and it's the weakest and the poorest. We have to tell the people in power that they are totally unfair and out of touch with ordinary people in society. I want the government to see that the public care about their country and they don't want the NHS taken apart. We don't want education taken apart and we don't want it all privatising.

ROBIN VAN MICKWITZ
Student, 19, from Huddersfield

Robin Van Mickwitz

I want to study engineering in a few years and I know I'm not going to be able to afford the tuition fees. I want to know why they're cutting all our services but not cutting Trident. There's a big movement, I think, it's definitely building. People are calling for revolution and I think it's possible now more than ever. I'm an anarchist, so I want to see a complete breakdown of state rather than politicians simply working for their own means.

KATE EWING
Lawyer, 31, from London

Kate Ewing

We're here to oppose the attack on public services. It's an assault on education, on childcare, on the provision of services that children need and on families. The effects on a young family like ours, the cutting of Sure Start centres, the loss of flexible working arrangements, makes a massive difference and it's going to lead to huge inequality. The atmosphere today is great, it's really positive. I think the point is to show the strength of feeling against the cuts.




No comments:

Post a Comment